Saturday, May 26, 2012

Making Progress

It's taking me quite a while to get into this second book, due to the business of summer, But slowly, and surely, I shall finish this book. The book I'm currently reading is "The House of The Scorpion" by Nancy Farmer. I'm nearly half way through, but I will eventually finish this thing.: )

So far this is yet another book, about strange DNA, and has a science fiction genre. In this book however, I see a deeper meaning. The main character, Matt, is a clone of a nearly 140 year old man. The book is showing how Matt grows up in a society that doesn't accept him. Clones are frowned upon in this society, because all other clones are injected pre-birth in order to kill all emotions. However Matt is different ... Matt has emotions, and he also has a brain. As he grows older we see that he attends school, and learns just like the rest of the kids, however he must be home schooled because people don't accept a clone.

The deeper meaning evident in this book, is judgement, people judge Matt because of who he is, and that's just wrong. I kind of understand where Matt's story is coming from however. Today's society tends to be the same way. We judge people based on who they are, what they look like, or what they wear. Those who are judged feel left out, just like Matt in the book. He feels left out, however he still manages to make friends, and eventually fall in love.

So far this book would be one I would recommend, especially if you like to read about other societies, and fictional circumstances, I quite enjoy it so far... So I guess I'll read on, and read more about Matt... And as always, Happy reading : )

No comments:

Post a Comment